Coventry Bears Rugby League


NW Crusaders Match Report

Coventry Bears 12  North Wales Crusaders 36

'Try of the Season' but no comeback for the Bears.

The Bears were facing their old rivals the Crusaders in their penultimate home game of the season when Reece Rance scored a sensational try.

He caught the ball after a kick from the 'Cru' just finished e yards from his own line.

He cut through two attackers bearing down on him before leaving three further Crusaders in his wake, Now on the half way line he evaded a couple more and while others refused to give up the chase there was literally no stopping him as he sprinted to the try-line early in the second half.

Before this, first half had seen the Bears open well but concede a try after seven minutes as Earl Hunt opened the scoring for the visitors.

Their lead was inreased following a clever move where the ball was offloaded and passed out to Karl Asher, who crossed over for a try.

Although the Bears were still very much in the game, Kenny Baker's try and subsequent conversion put the score at 16-0 as the half time hooter blew. The Bears had to do better than this in the second half.

Tom Tsang's team talk seemed to be paying dividends as Reece Rance scored his long distance try and Ben Stead's conversion brought the score to a much closer 6-16, with a comeback very much a possibility.

However, if anything, that try galvanised the visitors into a response as Aaron Moore scored their fourth try of the afternoon.

Then the Crusaders turned on the style, getting their best try of the game courtesy of a flowing move where a string of passes culminated in Gavin Curry crossing over in the corner.

And now in control, the away side were able to add two more tries in quick succession to completely kill off any hope of a comeback.

However, the Bears still had some fight left in them as Jason Bass scored the final try of the game and Ben Stead converted to bring the score to 12-36.

Just two games remain of the Bears' twentieth anniversary season. This Sunday they travel to Cumbria yet again, this time to face Whitehaven, before their final game the following Saturday at home to Hunslet on 22nd September. 

Bears Media