Coventry Bears Rugby League
SBS-Coventry Bears v Leeds Rhinos0069.jpg


All Golds Match Report

All Golds Prince of Wales Stadium  

All Golds Prince of Wales Stadium  

Agony for Bears as All Golds fight back

Gloucestershire All Golds 30 Coventry Bears 28

Report by Mike Hyde

Coventry Bears suffered agony in the last few minutes as their lead slipped away, and they were unable to prevent a determined Gloucestershire side from gaining their eleventh victory this season.

Despite, or perhaps because of, being rocked by their coach announcing his departure, the All Golds started the match as clear favourites, playing at home and with a good number of victories in the bag already this season.

The Bears were hoping for the psychological boost that a first away win of the season would give them as the game started in front of a sparse Cheltenham crowd.

The Coventry side started in a determined mood, and after Billy Gaylor had gained a lot of territory with a superb kick, Matt Reid opened the scoring for the Bears and Brad Delaney added twopoints with his conversion.

Welsh wizard Paul Emanuelli wasnext to score for the Bears as he intercepted a pass and touched down after a dazzling 70 yard run.

Then with just two minutes to go before half time, Chris Barrett crossed over, Delaney converted and the Bears went into the dressing room with a good lead.


Half Time; Gloucestershire All Golds 0 Coventry Bears 16


The All Golds came out energised and soon Parry put their first points on the scoreboard for a try which was easily converted.

Emanuelli, Delaney and Mikey Russell then combined to put the latter over for an immediate reply, and Delaney’s conversion restored the 16 point margin.

It was now end to end stuff as Kidd scored for the All Golds and  Hayden Freeman replied for the Bears, it was now 12-28, and still the lead held steady.

However, that was to be the last score for the Bears as the All Golds piled on the pressure and scored and converted three tries in a row, finally snatching the lead for the first time with a scoreline of 30-28.

Despite reeling from this, the Bears still mounted a desperate fightback and came close to equalising with a penalty 40 yards out which fell short.

Then, in the dying embers of the game, the Bears were awarded another penalty close to the All Golds’ line. A kick would salvage a draw. Driving the ball over would win the game. They chose wrongly and the attack broke down leaving the All Golds to celebrate and the Bears and their fans once again thinking ‘if only…..’

Next Sunday, 20th August 3 pm kick-off, the Bears hope to get back to winning ways at Butts Park when they take on London Skolars.

Bears Media